All you need to know about marriage in Denmark:
It’s Popular Getting Married in Denmark
Marriage in Denmark is super popular for international and multi-international couples, from Germany as well as many other countries. Getting the paperwork right is difficult and it can take as long as months or even years to secure a wedding date in other countries.
Unlike any other country in Europe and even most of the world, the marriage laws in Denmark were written so it’s possible for couples to get married without having to live in Denmark. Couples only have to stay for one night depending on the town hall they choose to get married in.
The documentation requirements (that I’ll go into further depth below) and the length of your stay in order to get married, varies from town hall to town hall. The town halls also have different set days and times of the days they conduct ceremonies, giving every town hall advantages and disadvantages, depending on you and your partner’s situation.
At Getting Married in Denmark, we work with serval town halls across Denmark to ensure we can offer you the best possible experience. Given our variety of town halls, we have a better possibility to fulfill your wishes no matter your circumstances.
Marriage in Denmark for None EU couples
Is Marriage in Denmark for none EU citizens possible? Yes absolutely, there are many combinations of couples. In the list below, you can see the different combinations of couples who can get married in Denmark:
- You both are none EU citizens. Yes, you can get married in Denmark!
- You both are EU citizens. Yes, you can get married in Denmark!
- One of you is an EU citizen, the other is a none EU citizen. Yes, you can get married in Denmark!
- Now, what if one or both of you are currently residing in a different country than the one you are a citizen of? Yes, you can get married in Denmark!
What we are trying to highlight here is, yes, marriage in Denmark for none EU citizens and everyone else is possible, as long you have can enter Denmark legally at the time of your ceremony. But we will get into more details about the required documentation in the section below.
Denmark Marriage Requirements
All the town halls we work with have their own twist to the Denmark Marriage Requirements. But they do follow the same marriage law, so we can only provide a general required documentation list.
- Valid Passport, visa if required and Schengen entry stamp*
- If living abroad, you will need to show your current residence permit.
- Certificate of your marital status from your current place of residence. This must be no older than 4 months
- If you have been previously married, a divorce decree or death certificate will be required.
- Persons of the Military will require permission from their commander.
- Original Birth Certificate (in most cases your birth certificate is not necessary)
On the following page, you can read in further detail about the Denmark Marriage Requirments
How Quickly Can We Get Married in Denmark?
How quick is a quick marriage in Denmark? The short answer is between two days to a week, depending on the day we get your request and how fast we can get your documents sorted.
As mentioned earlier, each town hall has different advantages. Some we can process your documents with and get an answer from within a day or two, others take weeks. If you are in a hurry and need a quick marriage in Denmark, then Contact Us as soon as possible, so we can get on it.
The fastest wedding we have arranged was in 48 hours, from the first point of contact, until the wedding certificates were in the hands of the couple.
What to Expect?
If you want to learn more about the full process of marriage in Denmark. From considering a Marriage in Denmark to having your marriage certificates in hand, heading back to your home country, you can read our Getting Married in Denmark Guide.
Right after your Marriage in Denmark and Ceremony, you will receive two marriage certificates that are valid worldwide. If you want to learn more about the Danish international marriage certificate, this article will explain in further detail.
To give you the best possible idea of how a Marriage in Denmark feels, then this video of our couple Ann Marie & Timothy tells it all. Stunning captured as always by Elena Belevantseva Photography & Videography